2024 Preseason Rankings

Welcome to the completely-devoid-of-any-legitimate-basing DAWG in Him rankings! Each year a few of us take a crack at ranking the teams in our league based on overall perceived strength of team leading into the season, whether it be starting roster strength, depth of roster, durability of roster, or what have you. Which is why this season I wanted to introduce a new style of ranking, the DAWG in Him ranking, inspired by Niner rookie and budding legend, Ricky Pearsall. These rankings have nothing to do with the team’s roster, so if you’re wondering how roster’s effect these rankings, they don’t. Instead, these rankings will take into consideration the Coach’s motivation/Dawg-in-Himness. Certain key factors that will be taken into consideration include:

1. Determination – This one is fairly straightforward. How motivated is this coach to win it all this season? Is this a coach showing up to shitpost with the boys, or is this a coach who is primarily invested in going the distance?
  2. Availability – As the saying goes, the best ability is availability. Just being motivated isn’t what makes someone the ultimate DAWG. A coach who is constantly needing to play catchup or find spare time to manage their team is going to have a hard time making good use of that determination.
  3. Wisdom – A true DAWG knows where to invest and where to pull back. If you aren’t able to recognize when it’s time to cut ties with an investment, you’ll quickly find yourself knee deep in players who have no long-term or short-term value and that’s a situation no coach wants to be in.
  4. Grit – Ultimately, being a DAWG is an exercise in grit. In grinding it out. In pushing through the fear of over cautiousness and being willing to risk it sometimes for the biscuit. A true DAWG needs to know when to set conventional wisdom to the side for a moment and to go full-send.

So without further ado, the 2024-2025 Jackman DAWG in Him rankings

1. Ian A. – Amunrud may be the most DAWG among us. The man is determined. The man is available. The man studies the game like none other. And he certainly has the grit. It’s probably no coincidence that his DAWG ranking reflects his typical pre-season ranking. He got that DAWG in him, dawg.
  2. Cook – This season represents the first full season of Cook being a dad. Which means his availability is taking a hit, and there’s no way around it. Every dad in the league has experienced it, and now it’s Jonathan’s turn. Beyond availability, he still retains one of the strongest DAWG ratings, which is what buoys him to nearly the top of this list.
  3. Paul – When it comes to Grit and Determination, Paul is an OG DG. He does have the expected drawbacks of dad-hood availability, especially with a second little one in the picture. One kid takes all your time. A second kid somehow also takes all your time, while your first kid is still taking all your time. No it doesn’t make sense, but you do it. TBD on how that impacts Paul’s total availability for roster management. Also of note, Paul is a full-send machine.
  4. Ventura – Shitposter extraordinaire, Ventura is the DAG man. Granted, his determination may be to be the premiere disruptor of the league, but this isn’t about being good at fantasy, this is about how much DAWG we’ve all got.
  5. Alex – What can I say, I see myself as having strong DWG. I am easily ready to admit that my WG qualities are not on par with the top DAWGs of the league, and that my availability is limited due to aforementioned child-rearing responsibilities. I’m a medium DAWG.
  6. Melton – The Meltman. He’s got that lowercase dawg in him. He’s got family responsibilities which limits his availability. He’s got real-world goals that come before fantasy football. That said, his determination to have a roster littered with Niner’s players is admirable, if not always advisable. He doesn’t let a little conventional wisdom get in the way of getting his guys.
  7. Ian C. – The Commish. The man with a plan. The man who has suddenly less personal time than he has in years past… I would say that Ian is not one to take big risks with his roster. He’s usually got a pretty stacked roster so it’s not like he needs to, but the point remains (and again, this isn’t about rosters, this is about coaches DAWGness). He’s still a formidable opponent week-in-and-week-out, so you’d be a fool to take this team lightly just because he’s lower on the DAWG pole.
  8. Garrett – Being the token drastically-different-time-zone coach for several years running now is always going to have its drawbacks on a coach’s DAWGness. Garrett’s availability severely impacts his responsiveness to game-time issues, by no fault of his own (okay, I guess it’s technically his fault he lives more than halfway across the world).
  9. Chasen – The People’s NATIONAL Champ. A man near and dear to our hearts. Who gets us to turn out to watch his swim meet mid-work-day. These platitudes are intentionally here to buffer against what I’m about to say. Chasen’s DAWGness is second only to the last place spot on this list. Let me be absolutely clear, every guy on this list has that DAWG in him. This is just a relative ranking. That being said, Chasen has the two-peat laurels that have him comfortable and scared at the same time. He’s sitting on top of the mountain with all the crosshairs trained on him, and he’s here to not fall off the peak, rather than get it. Part of being a DAWG requires fighting to attain ultimate glory. Having obtained it the last two years running, Chasen’s DAWGness is going to falter as a result. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong and show just how much DAWG he’s got in him still, but as of this ranking I place him in the nine spot.
  10. Mike – Riverboat Mike. The man with the money-line plan. Mike definitely has that DAWG in him, but the focus of his DAWGness is probably more on the real world (his business, his betting lines, etc.), which means that he’s got less DAWG left for the league. The last couple of seasons Mike has been rebuilding, and this season he seems to be taking steps to be more competitive again, but that’s a strategy based mostly on rookies showing out. It’s bold, to be sure, but with real-world ambitions taking a front seat, it logically made sense for this to be the landing point of Mike’s league-focused DAWGness.

And there you have it! If you think you got improperly dogged and that your DAWG ranking should be higher (or lower, I guess), feel free to argue in the comments below.

I am a huge fan of the DAWG rankings. This won’t be that, but a more traditional (read: boring) ranking. I’m definitely not going into as much detail as I have in the past, but will focus mostly on the blurb more than about the detail behind positional rankings as I’ve done before. Hope y’all enjoy.

1. Andrew Melton:
    I really don’t like how good this team has gotten. I think the owner needs to just chill out for a second already. One of the best RB trios, a super solid WR trio, solid options at TE (hoping hock comes back with a vengeance though). The only negative for this team is that there are some (fantasy) questions at QB, but that’s just nitpicking really. One of AR, Tua, Brock, and Kirk will be a strong option on a given week. Too bad this team is old and going to fade soon…oh wait…you’re telling me this team is young and has all their picks still. Not fair man, not fair.
  2. Ian Charbonnet:
    I know what you’re thinking, “Ian I think you mispelled your last name here, because you never put yourself lower than 2nd” and well it hurts to say, but Charbonnet, after barely missing out on playoffs, is coming back with a vengeance and a pretty stacked roster. He is the king of depth and still has some stars in the top of his roster. Lamar and Dak at QB give him the opportunity to look bad making the wrong call every week (one can hope!). WRs so good he’s currently got 2nd overall pick Nabers, Amari, and Tee Higgins all on the bench. His biggest weakness is RB and he has 6 real life starting RBs. He’s at least bound to be able to play matchups and has plenty of opportunities for a guy to outperform expectations. This team has a wealth of options every given week. He’s bound to put up a huge season.
  3. Ian Amunrud:
    My team is still barely holding onto their championship window, riding veteran receivers (and TE) to stay in the competition with the contenders. Still has the best trio of WRs (if Chase even plays this season amid contract disputes), but lacking a ton of depth outside Zay Flowers and Diggs. RBs are basically the same as Charbonnet: lots of options hoping for breakout seasons, but definitely the weak spot on this roster unless Bijan makes a huge step forward. QBs are also hoping for bounce back seasons. Burrow and Rodgers both coming off injuries and people still waiting for Trevor Lawrence to be elite like every thought he would be. This team has a pretty solid starting lineup and lots of depth, but is basically like Charbonnet’s team, but a little worse. Should still be able to contend for a championship.
  4. Chasen Rogers:
    This man is coming off back to back championships as today has been having to bat away the haters coming for him. I’m here to stand on the fence of respect and sippin’ on haterade. This team certainly has weaknesses (looking at depth being the main one), but these starters are still scary, and if CMC stays healthy, he alone makes this team a contender. Mahomes and Hurts are definitely the best 1-2 punch at QB in this league. Can pick the best matchup and gain points on others at that position. Ceedee, olave, DJ, and DK are SCARY to face. Kittle at TE scary too. This whole team is terrifying when you look at the starting lineup, but then the bench…well that’s terrifying for the owner. This team should be right in that fight for yet another championship…barring injuries.
  5. Alex Johnson:
    I would say that this team is the final team that’s got a real shot at a championship (albeit, less so than the teams above.) Doing so riding their stud RBs (I miss you Henry), and stud TE. Pair with a solid QB in Goff, and a solid trio at WR, this team’s starting lineup has the chance to be lethal. Solid bench WRs and TE’s, but wanting at RB depth. QB depth is non existent, unless you’re a big Maye rookie year guy, but I am not. This team should be competitive week in and week out and be able to push some of the better teams throughout the season. Don’t be surprised if this team finishes higher than this. I really think the top 5 teams are pretty close to each other this year.
  6. Garrett Hart:
    The last playoff spot and the first team of the next tier of teams. This team is truly all about the RBs. If Saquon and JT go out there and find prime Saquon and prime JT seasons, this team’s stock will soar. WRs are pretty iffy. No clear stud and really banking on a breakout from 2 or more guys to help this team jump up into the next tier. QBs are solid with CJ and Stafford, but then the TE situation is messy. This team has enough good things going for them that they should (barely) make the playoffs, but needs a lot of luck to jump ahead in the rankings. Should still be a competitive year for them.
  7. Jonathan Cook:
    This team’s starters are good, depth is bad. Starters are also a bit on the old side, so hoping for them to keep up/bounce back. Josh Allen coming off 4 straight years of absolute fantasy dominance. However, he lost diggs and davis going into this year and replaced with less experience and more question marks, so I’m fading Allen just a bit as a result. Hoping for a bounce back from ekeler and kamara, or for ekeler to fade away so B Rob gets more looks. No RB depth to speak of. WRs are solid with Evans, Ridley, Kupp, Reed and okay depth at that position too. TE is really banking on Pitts to bounce back, after a solid rookie year he took a huge step back and hasn’t been back since. If he’s back, that helps this team a ton. This team has too many question marks for me to put into the playoffs, but Jon is a gamer, so I won’t be surprised if he figures it out, but for now he’s just outside playoffs.
  8. Andrew Ventura:
    Puka-chu power all day! Having the gem of gems last season, this team is hoping for more gems to help bring them up the rankings. Hoping for a comeback season from Herbert and/or Kyler at QB. RBs are pretty solid here and decent depth too. Just a lot of new situations and hoping for clarity with the Dallas and Carolina backfields. WR is a little weak. Really banking on Puka to build on the success of last year and Keenan to be solid in Chicago. From there is gets a little iffy banking on a rookie and a bounce back sophomore season for JSN. TE could use some help too. Again this team like most in this tier, has the pieces to rise higher than their place in these rankings, just banking on too many things to happen for me to comfortably place them higher. Not a bad team though!
  9. Michael Stock II:
    Doing the rebuild right and has an extra first round pick in each of the next two drafts so I don’t expect this team to remain here. However, for now, this is their place. At QB he’s got 3 young guns hoping to hit. At TE he’s banking on rookie Brock to be the guy (too bad he’ll always be the worse Brock :sweat_smile: .) At RB he’s got Mostert trying to recreate that magic from last season (He was RB2 y’all) and a bunch of backups. Once Brooks comes off PUP, he’ll have some hope for growth at that position. WR is a lot of young guys trying to breakout and then Hopkins and Scary Terry trying to bounce back. Again this is clearly a team in transition, but expect them to earn a top pick in this next draft.
  10. Paul Miyake:
    After going un undefeated the year prior, this rebuilding team got a win last year! I expect this team to still struggle while they’re in transition, but could see more wins on the menu as this is an improved team from last year after being aggressive in the draft and first waivers. Solid, if not sexy, options at QB. Potential stud TE in Evan Engram (looked great in preseason.) RBs really bringing this team down in the rankings. Needing a lot of help there, but maybe next year’s draft will be time to address that. WRs are looking pretty promising. With car cRashee Rice not getting punished and rookies MHJ and Coleman, this trio could be pretty good. Not a ton of depth behind them, but has some nice young pieces at that position to build around. This team is still needing a lot of work, but honestly Paul is doing great in trying to turn things around and I think this may be the last time they take this last spot in the preseason rankings.

Let’s go DAWGs! Not a fan of Georgia, but am a fan of my boys. Hard to rank 'em though, fantasy or otherwise, as each person is as unique as a millennial snowflake. I’ll do my best here though, knowing full well that nothing is for certain and even the best fantasy managers leave 20% of their points on the table.

1. Ian Charbonnet - I was a hater on this team last year and was vindicated by no playoff appearance, but I’m reversing myself here and putting him on top of the league. I think there’s some young talent here again (Nico, Achane) and some solid veterans (Higgins, Lamar, Conner). Well positioned to get back to the playoffs and podium.
  2. Ian Amunrud - Another Ian up top! I’m giving him some more credit than he’s giving himself. I like the Gus Bus in LA, and the WR lineup is fire. Burrow is a fine starter, especially if Chase gets back under contract (over under $35M/year?).
  3. Chasen Rogers - KWalker is the odd man out here in quality, but is still a RB1/2 and CMC is like a RB0 (so glad we drafted him IRL, wish I did it in fantasy). This guy’s pass-catcher core could be the focus of a new Netflix doc, solid guys with a good NFL track record. No RB depth might catch him in the end though.
  4. Alex Johnson - I can see this guy contending for the ship for sure. Top-tier talent at WR (Aiyuk, Adams, Waddle), solid options at RB, capable QBs, and legit young stud at TE. This team could pop off any given week and knock out a good team from a chance at hoisting the Jackman.
  5. Andrew Melton - The bottom of my contender tier. TE is a weak spot, as is QB, but a couple long bombs to Tyreek or Breece Hall ripping off a long run can catapult this team to another chance at #1.
  6. Jonathan Cook - Giving myself the last playoff spot, but unless teh stars align it’ll probably be a 1-and-done playoff. Great group of receivers, and beast mode QB in Josh Allen, but TE is just okay and the RB room needs somebody to make a RB2/3 to RB1 jump.
  7. Andrew Ventura - Ladd McConkey is a starter, and while I love the name don’t know if he’s the talent needed for this team to excel. And of course the Kicker Store has the best (on the field) player in Butker, but I think Pacheco, Jacobs, Herbert, and Nacua are great starters.
  8. Garrett Hart - Wish I could put this team higher, and I think it has playoff potential. WR is just a bit wobbly to me with a rookie in Chicago, and some more boom or bust type guys like Kirk and Addison or Osbourne. I like the RBs a lot here, and as the season goes on they become more important.
  9. Paul Miyake - He got that DAWG and he’s trending up! Making moves to start the season, and we’re rooting for team wildcard.
  10. Michael Stock - Re-re-re-rebuild!! Lots of young talent, but lots of question marks. Trending up baby!

I missed out last year and I don’t want to let another year go by without giving my definitely accurate predictions to how the 2024 season is gonna play out. Thanks to the dudes leaning in and giving us some content to enjoy and discuss!

1. Andrew Megameltron - Look. Idk what to tell you. The Tyreek trade was not a high point for this team but it seems like LITERALLY EVERYTHING ANDREW HAS DONE SINCE THEN HAS BEEN TOP NOTCH. Quality starters all the way up and down and if Richardson lives up to his hype as a cheat code for fantasy it’s going to be incredibly hard to beat this team.

2. Ian GoldenGuy - It was very nice of this guy to rank me ahead of him in a post above, but this is arguably the best starting lineup in the league. I think some of Melton’s guys take a step forward this year, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see this crew in the top spot.

3. ChasenBaby - Somebody stop this man! Back-to-Back champ riding McCafferey has got to be a top team on everyone’s radar this year. Mr. Christian M can win weeks single handedly. This team is built like a glass cannon though. Starting roster can beat anyone in the league and if they stay healthy there’s a good chance we see them in the big game again…

4. Another Ian - I love my dudes. I cheer for them year round, even during the offseason. I’m proud of the roster I’ve built. Competent players in every position with backups for my backups. But some of these guys gotta step up if I wanna be back in the conversation with the biggest teams. It’s definitely in the realm of possibility, but I need a few breaks of players continuing to break out (and the coach of this team to actually pick the right players every week…)

5. Alexslander (doc) Johnson - This is low-key a good starting lineup that should have playoff expectations. I might argue Alex’s starting lineup is the most underrated in the league. This is your reminder that Goff was QB7 on the year last year too… hope he keeps throwing to Amon-Ra :wink:

6. DonJon’sYourMom Cook - Quality starting lineup without the firewpower of some of the top teams in the league. Allen’s a set-it-and-forget-it guy and Evans just gets it done every year. Is Kupp healthy? Is Ridley back? How does the Commanders run game play out? Does Kamara have enough left in the tank? Lots of questions, but enough quality players that with a few good breaks this team is in the thick of it.

7. G’s Full-Of-Hart - I’m not gonna lie… I think Garrett is just autodrafting in our rookie drafts every year. AND IT’S WORKING. CJ Stroud has turned this team’s trajectory back on track and have you seen these RBs?! Not a lot of WR firepower though and the expected missed lineup change due to timezones got me thinking this team is right on the edge, but might be edged out.

8. Ventiki SuperSaiyan - Smartest of them all because EVERYONE slept on Puka Nacua, but not this team. Through meticulous research, networking, and an immense amount of time and effort, Andrew knew exactly what he was doing when he drafted Puka. None of us can ever say otherwise. We weren’t there for the preparation. The blood sweat & tears that he pours into his fantasy team. All we saw was the glimpse of a button click on draft day '23.
    Also I think Kyler and Josh Jacobs have good years this year so there’s that.

9. Micky NotDaddy - Rebuild 101. Mike locked in TWO top tier dynasty QBs and arguably the best TE prospect in forever ago with Bowers this year. It’ll be a bit of a climb, but Mike has long lasting pieces that can anchor his build. Though he accidentally still has Raheem Mostert (RB2 last year) on his team so he might accidentally win a few games this year… I also think McLaurin has his best finish yet.

10. TennesseeYouInCaliforniaSoon Miyake! - Marvin Harrison Jr. train let’s go. With Beaux Nix and JJ McCarthy this team is building its foundation. He’s got Coleman and Rice as well so there’s a world this core of WR and QBs can rise up as some current league vets begin their decline. Whenever Paul makes it to the Championship Game, it might be the first time in league history that everyone will be cheering for the same team to win it all.

Good luck this year dudes!