Commissioner Power Rankings - Week 2 (2017)

It’s a brand new season! And what a start to the new season it was. 3 of the top 4 predicted teams in preseason rankings lost in week 1. What a crazy first week! Rookie running backs were the talk of the town, especially one Kareem Hunt who decided to score 40.6 points in his first game. Second best player in fantasy after week 1? ALEX SMITH.
Here are you fantasy point leaders after Alex Smith: Rams & Jaguars D/ST. Stafford, Bradford, Eagles D/ST, Siemian, Gillislee, Ravens D/ST, Diggs, T.Hill, and the NEW OAKLAND KICKER.

None of us was predicting this. But that’s one of the reasons we love fantasy football!

As with a new season, it’s a new opportunity for me to list my power rankings each week. These are the definitive rankings. They are obviously correct. There is no room for error. Much more ob than sub in terms of its jectivity.
These power rankings take into account past performance, current week matchups, anticipated future performance, and gut feeling : )
I’ve also changed up my labeling. I’m now labeling what week we are ENTERING as opposed to what week we are coming out of. I feel like that makes more sense. Without further ado:

WEEK 2 POWER RANKINGS
I want to put everyone at number 1. But I can’t. Just know you’re all number 1 in my hearts. But rankings require more numbers.

1. Santa Barbara Sailors - @jonathan . What a week for Jon! In a week where everyone had stars majorly under-perform, Jon found 7 of his starters with 12 points or more (including his kicker). I initially did not plan to put this team here after such a large performance - regression to the mean and all that - but I like the matchups for this team this week. Realistically, we won’t know what Kareem Hunt is going to do the rest of the season, but we have about as high of a ceiling as one could hope. The only matchup with pause is Antonio Brown against the Vikings, but 1. the Steelers are at home and 2. it’s Antonio Brown. No worries here. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

2. DEZ pacito - @ianamunrud . Tough first week. Texans got wrecked by the Jags and Dez didn’t get a lot of points covered by Janoris Jenkins. The numbers for the week weren’t horrible though. There are some good matchups for this upcoming week minus Dez at Denver and I think this team begins its bounce-back shortly. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

3. TEAM DYNASTY - @IanC . Season is over! Both Ian’s lost and should sell sell sell! It may be a bit early for that kind of thinking : ) . This team was a top-5 scorer last week. The matchups aren’t great this week, but the players are good and should turn it around in the near future. When Le’Veon Bell and Michael Thomas give you 4.7 and 4.5 points respectively, you know it’s gonna be a weird week. Let it be known this team trusted the “experts” with their picks last week. Psh experts. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

4. Brandon McManus - @mikeastock . Close game this past week, but I think Stock bounces back quickly. He’s got Mike Evans back, Green Bay is playing the Falcons in the dome at Atlanta (always shootout potential) and CJ Anderson + Gurley are getting a lot of volume. Also Russell Wilson and the Seahawks are hosting the 49ers. Everyone put your Seahawks in! (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

5. All Aboard the Wentz Wagon - @chasenrogers . Quality showing this past week. Bradford against the Saints. Who would’ve thought the Saints defense would help a QB so much? Not me that’s for sure. While there are some concerns at RB here with Zeke’s suspension still pending, Fournette did as much as you could ask for such an early pick. Fitz is in Indianapolis this week, Sanders hosts Dallas, and Doug Baldwin hosts San Francisco. I think the matchups are good for this team this week. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

6. The Free Spirits - @PaulDawg . Paul’s team did a great job last week. We have to call that like it is. Paul trusted in Diggs and Diggs did work. Also that Jags D/ST was as wildcard as it comes! That said, I’m putting this team higher than I actually think they will perform this week out of respect for the wildcard strategy. Aside from QB and K, no other player apart from the two already mentioned reached even 6 points. The good: Ben’s at home / Winston hosts Chicago, both are good matchups. Also Perkins, Pryor, and Engram were heavily involved for their teams from what I saw. The NYG and WASH offenses may struggle a bit this year tho, but at least there is volume and determination. I do not think Golladay repeats his performance against Jenkins, Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie and the Giants D. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

7. Maclin My Way Downtown - @ventura . This is the most volatile team this week for me. Brees against the Pats could be a shootout, or it could just get ugly. Elliot against Denver looks good and Maclin against the Browns and Parker’s return could be a great sign for this team. Kevin White’s out (what’s new) and the Lions running game/rush O-line looks to be as bad as ever. That plus I am even less clear on the Panthers RB plans for the future than I was a week ago. The good is that they may run a fair amount to keep pressure of Cam. But still, so many unknowns here. Solid victory this past week though. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

8. San Francisco Eagles - @awmelman . Rodgers in the dome with the Falcons. I like that. Hill looks like he is going to be used a lot this year and if Alex Smith does what he did against the Patriots again, that offense could be something special to watch. Additionally, I totally see Melvin Gordon and Dalvin Cook as RB starters in fantasy all season long. That gives this team something to build on. I’m not sure about Britt and Crowder’s matchups this week. That plus the Saints backfield setup causes some hesitation with this team. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

9. Started At the Bottom Now we… - @Alex . … are one small step up from the bottom. The loss of David Johnson is devastating. However, this power ranking also takes into consideration how I think this team will do THIS week, and to that we have a good matchup for Crabtree against the Jets and Brady/Gronk go to New Orleans, so there is a spark here. I think Tate doesn’t do as well, but Thielen is an interesting player to watch as the season goes on. (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

10. Mr. Hemingway I Presume - @gbhart . Victory last week! Garrett gets the W with the second lowest score of the week, beating out Alex by a single point. For this upcoming week, I have more questions though. I like Murray at Jacksonville, but I’m not sure about Taylor at Carolina or Dalton hosting the Texans. Garcon goes to Seattle, Smith to KC and Crowell to Baltimore. These aren’t matchups I would prefer. Throw in the fact that Garrett is checking things occasionally from Taiwan only adds to it. Best of luck this week! (Last Week’s Rank: n/a)

That’s all for this week. I love you guys and wish you much joy in the week ahead!