Commissioner Power Rankings - Week 3 (2017)

The 2017 fantasy season has not been like any had predicted. I wouldn’t have believed you if you told me the top QBs in fantasy (2,3,4 overall) at this point would be: Alex Smith, Trevor Siemian, and Carson Wentz. If you would have told me a rookie in his first game on his first carry would fumble and then go on to be more than 15 points above all other fantasy players after two weeks, I would think you have a cute imagination.
Yet here we are. Kareem Hunt is on top of all fantasy and Chris Thompson is the #6RB. The Lions defense is #2 at their position. J.J. Nelson is the #2WR. It’s early, but it has been an odd start.

On the league side, if you told me that the #4 scoring team after two weeks would be 0-2 and the only undefeated team was #8 in points for, I would have said “who set up that dumb schedule?”
But this is reality. The two-time champion team is 0-2 while fourth in points scored while Ventura’s team is third-to-last in scoring, but is the only 2-0 team in our league. It’s a strange thing - that fantasy football, but we try to predict and guess all the same because it’s fun!

Week 3 Power Rankings

1. Santa Barbara Sailors - @jonathan . When you play the highest scoring team on a given week, you’re going to lose. That’s how it works. Expect a bounce-back for the team that is riding high on the Kareem Hunt rookie parade that hasn’t slowed down yet. Jon will try to bring balance back to the league this week by taking on the undefeated, yet 8th highest scoring Ventura. (Last Week’s Rank: 1. Weeks at #1: 2)

2. Hyde Your Emotion - @ianamunrud . I can’t recall the smallest margin of victory in league history, but 0.8 has got to be one of the smallest. The Raiders are in Washington this week and while that may not be good for whomever is covered by Josh Norman, everyone else will likely feast as the team looks to keep rolling. They’re up against a good team this week, but everyone is healthy and good-to-go. (Last Week’s Rank: 2. Weeks at #2: 2)

3. Brandon McManus - @mikeastock . Mike’s team is third in PF and has the players to compete at a high level all year long. I had planned to move them into the second place, but the injury to Jordy Nelson is one to check up on as the week progresses. Mike Evans is still going to do work, but the Nelon-Evans combo was one of the highlights of this team. Did you know this team was second highest score last week despite Nelson putting up 0 points with the injury? This team has that potential every week. (Last Week’s Rank: 4. Trending UP 1)

4. TEAM DYNASTY - @IanC . After losing by less than a point (if only Blair Walsh made that stupid PAT…), I told myself I would rank myself wherever I was in the PF category. This team has lost as many games this year as it did all of last year. All the while Le’Veon Bell has disappointed thus far and yet despite all this, the team is fourth in PF. If this team had Ventura’s schedule, they would be 2-0. It’s been an unlucky season thus far, but by the numbers, this is where the team deserves to be. (Last Week’s Rank:3. Trending DOWN 1)

5. Maclin My Way Downtown - @ventura . 8th in scoring, yet fifth in the rankings? This team rankings, like Chasen’s (see below) has a lot to do with matchups this week. Stewart hosts New Orleans and Zeke goes to Arizona who hasn’t seen an RB of his caliber yet this year. I’m not sure about flexing a Chargers WR with one already in the lineup, but I suppose this team is 2-0 , so something’s gotta be going right. (Last Week’s Rank: 7. Trending UP 2)

6. San Francisco Eagles - @awmelman . The Bengals have faced Flacco and a rookie QB thus far. Queue Aaron Rodgers at home. Melton currently has the following in his starting lineup: QB8, RB9, WR3, WR5, TE5 (and QB1 is on his bench). It’s early, but Melton is hoping these results stay the course as he looks to follow up on last week’s victory. (Last Week’s Rank: 8. Trending UP 2)

7. All Aboard the Wentz Wagon - @chasenrogers . Carson Wentz has done all he can to prove that he should be a starting QB in the NFL. I’m not sure how he fairs in New York, but he could find continued success. This team’s power ranking this week has a lot to do with matchups and less to do with season-long predictions. I’m not sure of Sproles’ role this week, Doug Baldwin is WR45, and Sanders is coming off a big game which I think will be followed with points in the 7-12 range. The Cardinals haven’t looked very good on offense this year, so this team is getting a lower ranking this week until some of these can straighten out. (Last Week’s Rank: 5. Trending DOWN 2)

8. Daddy’s Little Princess - @Alex . The Patriots go to New Orleans and feast. As such, Alex’s team took high score this past week against the previous week’s high scorer. New England hosts Houston, which should bring them a little bit closer to earth from their heights against the ever talented Saints defense. I’m not sure Chris Thompson holds his RB6 spot after this week, however one Mr. Michael Crabtree is your top WR in fantasy and there is evidence to support that he will maintain his place in the Raiders game plan. This team started from the bottom and they’re creeping on up… (Last Week’s Rank: 9. Trending UP 1)

9. The Free Spirits - @PaulDawg . After a great victory week 1, this team came crashing down last week. Paul Perkins does not look like a stud and the Kerwynn Williams waiver pickup, although wise in the eyes of the experts, did not go as expected. The good news? Carson Wentz seems to love Alshon Jeffery. In fact Jeffery and Diggs are both top-10 WRs to this point in the season. Stafford hosts Atlanta this week as well. With that kind of matchup, don’t be surprised if this team finds itself 2-1 by the end of the football week. (Last Week’s Rank: 6. Trending DOWN 3)

10. Mr. Hemingway I Presume - @gbhart . In week 2 of the 2017 season, Garrett’s team managed to “defeat” Melton’s record for least points in a week that has been standing since week 5 of our second season (2015). With 41.8 total points, there wasn’t much that went well for this team. Garrett is going to have to keep an eye on the Titans RBs to play the right one each week, Greg Olsen is going to miss some time this year, and LeGarrette Blount didn’t even get a single carry this past week! It’s going to be an uphill battle. Tyrod goes to Denver/Dalton is in Green Bay. Virtually the only bright spot has been Nelson Agholor who sneakily is WR7 so far (there’s a theme with the Eagles passing game going on this year…). We all wish you the best of luck Garrett as you begin your climb up the power rankings in future weeks! (Last Week’s Rank: 10. Weeks at #10: 2)

May you all find yourself blessed this week in your workplaces, relationships, and endeavors of growth in character.