Commissioner Power Rankings - Week 5 (2017)

We are 30% done with the regular season already and 25% done with the full fantasy year. You know what? Fantasy football is dumb. We need to go do other activities. It’s not worth pouring all that time into researching stats and sports news and listening to podcasts and figuring out what the weather at outdoor stadiums will be like and on and on. All that just to have a mediocre or underperforming team. Or at least, for myself, Ian, and Jon.

Nah, I’m just salty. Let’s keep playing! Check out the teams #2-4 in points for (aka how your team is actually doing): Alex (419.8), Jon (418.2), Ian C (412.1). The next team has 375 points. Here are the records for teams #2-4 in PF, respectively: 3-1, 2-2, 1-3. The team with 375 points? 3-1.
One redeeming thing about this season is that Mike historically has had bad matchup situations and he finds himself comfortably in first place right now.
Now that I’ve gotten all of that out of my system, I think I like fantasy football again. At least for one more week. Depending on how my game against Alex goes : )
Now on to my expertly picked, top-notch, can’t-argue-with-'em, rankings for this week!

Week 5 Power Rankings

1. Brandon McManus - @mikeastock . It’s like the years of hyping this team up are finally paying off… except when this team decimates me with its 2nd weekly high score in a row and Jordy, Russell, and Todd. I don’t think anyone wants to play this team right now. There really is nothing else to say here. It’s a really good team. (Last Week’s Rank: 1. Weeks at #1: 2)

2. Brady is Bae and Bae is Life - @Alex . I cannot believe this team won scoring only 77.8 points. This team should move down the list, but Jon’s team scored 77.6. The Patriots are going up against a Tampa Bay defense that hasn’t done much these past few weeks except give Melton negative points. The combo of Jon’s poor performance plus TB keeps this team here for now. (Last Week’s Rank: 2. Weeks at #2: 2)

3. Santa Barbara Sailors - @jonathan . Poor showing this week, but this team has the best scoring player in fantasy in Kareem Hunt (and not in Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham Jr., who are still very, very good). The kind of consistency that Hunt has shown in four weeks is enviable. They’ll stay put on the rankings for now. (Last Week’s Rank: 3. Weeks at #3: 2)

4. Maclin My Way Downtown - @ventura . Teams 4 and 5 are complete opposites and have their spots because of one category I usually never consider: luck. This team has a PA of only 295.2 after 4 weeks. This team faces on AVERAGE 73.8 points a week from its opponents. The next best (worst?) team in PA is facing an average of 80.4 points a week, so the gap is pretty decent. Something something Zeke. Something Something Parker. Something Chargers keep losing. (Last Week’s Rank: 6. Trending UP 2)

5. TEAM DYNASTY - @IanC . The inverse of Ventura’s team. This team is leading in the category you don’t want to lead in: Points Against. They are facing an average of 115.1 points from their opponents each week. They are 4th in scoring, but have a 1-3 record. 4th best score last week, could have beat 6 teams to even out their record, but they got the juggernaut that is Stock’s team. Atlanta and New Orleans are on bye this week, so they lose their 2 main starting WRs and their most consistent RB. Uphill battle womp womp (Last Week’s Rank: 4. Trending DOWN 1)

6. All Aboard The Wentz Wagon - @chasenrogers . The next two teams are paired together like the two above. This time the top team, Chasen’s in this case, I am selecting higher because of a better matchup of opponent this week. This team is 3-1, currently in 4th. Fitz, DeSean and Wentz have good matchups this week and I think there is a good chance this team gets to 4-1. TRENDING UP! (Last Week’s Rank: 8. Trending UP 2)

7. Name Reserved For Stocky-Poo - @ianamunrud . Some later-games magic brought this team up to 3rd best score of the week. They’re only down here because of a tough matchup against Jon. The RBs face favorable opponents this week though, and I could see this team pulling off a win. I still expect this team to start climbing up the rankings in no time. Carry on, carry on. (Last Week’s Rank: 7. Weeks at #7: 2)

8. The Free Spirits - @PaulDawg . Hey guys, you know who the #1 WR in fantasy is this year? IT’S STILL STEFON DIGGS. This team is going to try and keep rolling with its receivers. With no Cook in Minnesota, chances are they may need to be airing it out to Diggs even more. Wentz is getting the ball to Alshon in Philly and the JAGUARS D is the 2nd highest scoring D in fantasy football right now. This team has the tools. This team has the heart. Now we’re just waiting on the results. (Last Week’s Rank: 9. Trending UP 1)

9. San Francisco Eagles - @awmelman . MELTON MAKING MOVES. Melton secures Cam Newton’s favorite target (not including the injured Greg Olsen) from our league Panthers fan no less. And then Dalvin Cook goes down for the year. Cook ends his year as the #8 fantasy RB at this point and that plays a huge part in this team’s rankings this week. Luckily Melvin Gordon has been consistent and Bilal Powell has been getting the ball a fair amount in NY/Jersey, so there is still hope left for this team. (Last Week’s Rank: 5. Trending DOWN 4)

10. Mr. Hemingway I Presume - @gbhart . Low score again noooooo. What’s good here? Deshaun is throwing the ball to Hopkins who is now the #8 WR in fantasy. Tyrod Taylor looked pretty good against Atlanta this past week. And…hmmm Justin Tucker seems like a cool guy? Keep battling man! We’re cheering for you across the sea! (Last Week’s Rank: 10. Weeks at #10: 4)

That does it for this week. I remind myself constantly how much I enjoy being able to share this game with each of you. It continues to be a highlight of my week to chat with you all in slack and to watch games associating players with each of my friends. You all are great and I hope you find immense joy in the week ahead! Blessings.